HISTORY AND EVOLUTION
The term Oriya comes from antiquated Sanskrit Odra. The Odrakas are expressed as one individual that battled in the Mahabharata. Oriya goes with Indo-Aryan language family. The primary language of individuals residing in province of Orissa or Odisha is Oriya or Odia lingo. Nearby 31 million of individuals in India communicate in Orissa lingo. Oriya is spelled as Odia. Oriya is an essentially communicated in lingo in Indian conditions of Orissa, portions of West Bengal, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and Andhra Pradesh. Oriya is the authority lingo of Orissa and the 2nd authority lingo of Jharkhand.
Oriya, has been gotten from Eastern Magadhi Apabhramsa. The historical backdrop of Oriya language is separated into Old Oriya (tenth century-1300), Early Center Oriya (1300-1500), Center Oriya (1500-1700), Late Center Oriya (1700-1850) and Present day Oriya (1850 till current day).
- Old Oriya (seventh century-1200): The Oriya language starts to show up in inscriptions with Oriya contents in sanctuaries, copper plates, palm-leaf original copies and so forth
- Early Center Oriya (1200–1400): The most punctual utilization of style can be found in the Madala Panji or the Palm-leaf Annals of the Jagannatha sanctuary at Puri.
- Center Oriya (1400–1700): extended sonnet in Oriya was composed by Mahabharat, Chandi Puran, Vilanka Ramayan of Shudramuni Sarala Das. Towards the 16th centennial, 5 artists arose, they are known as the Panchasakha's .The writers are Balaram Das, Jagannath Das, Achyutananda Das, Ananta Das and Jasobanta Das.
- Late Center Oriya (1700–1850): In seventeenth century when Ramachandra Pattanayaka composed Haravali another type of books in verse advanced. Upendra Bhanja played a main job in this phase, his Baidehisha Bilasa, Koti Brahmanda Sundari, Lavanyabati manifestations were demonstrated milestone in Oriya Writing. Noticeable Kavyas of this era are Dinakrushna Das' Rasokallola and Abhimanyu samanta Simhara's Bidagdha Chintamani. Kabi surya Baladeb Rath, Santha Kabi or Andha Muni Bhima Bhoi, Brajanath Badajena and Gopal Krushna Pattanaik are4 significant artists who arose toward the finish of the period.
- Present day Oriya (1850 till current day): The principal Oriya printing typeset was projected in 1836 by the Christian preachers who made extraordinary unrests in Oriya writing and lingo.
Odia is fundamentally spoken in the province of Odisha, yet there are huge Odia-talking populaces in the adjoining states, for example, Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, West Bengal and Chhattisgarh.
Because of the expanding movement of work, the west Indian territory of Gujarat additionally has a critical populace of Odia speakers. Huge quantities of Odia speakers can likewise be discovered in the urban communities of Vishakhapatnam, Hyderabad, Pondicherry, Bangalore, Chennai, Goa, Mumbai, Raipur, Jamshedpur, Baroda, Ahmedabad, New Delhi, Guwahati, Shillong, Pune, Gurgaon, Jammu and Silvassa As indicated by 2011 statistics, 3.1% of Indians in India are Odia speakers, of which 93% have a place with Odisha.
Far off nations
The Odia diaspora establish a sizeable number in a few nations around the globe, totalling the quantity of Odia speakers on a worldwide scale to 50 million. It has a huge presence in eastern nations, for example, Thailand, Indonesia, primarily conveyed by the sadhaba, antiquated merchants from Odisha who conveyed the language alongside the way of life during the old-day trading, and in western nations, for example, the US, Canada, Australia and Britain. The language has likewise spread to Burma, Malaysia, Fiji, Mauritius, Sri Lanka and Center East countries. It is spoken as a local tongue by the Bonaz people group in northeastern Bangladesh.
Oriya is one of the 22 official lingos and 14 provincial lingos of India. It is a lawful common lingo in Odisha State, quilting in as mode of regular resemblance, just as being employed in training, administration, vocation and in the news.
Odia is the 6th Indian language to be assigned an Old style language, based on having a long scholarly history and not having acquired widely from different dialects. The soonest known engraving in Odia goes back to the tenth century CE.
The Odisha Official Dialects Act was passed in 1954 by the Nabakrushna Choudhury government, however it was not implemented. Albeit the Authority Language Act has just been executed in all Hindi-talking states, West Bengal, Haryana, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh, it is yet to be actualized in Odisha.
As per the 1954 Demonstration, Odia language and numerals must be utilized for all authority purposes. Furthermore, paper warnings, all Bills, revisions, acts, laws, orders, rules and guidelines gave by the state government or moved in the Get together must be in Odia.
(Ethnologue) recognizes various provincial assortments of Oriya:
- Midnapore Oriya
- Mughalbandi (Standard Oriya)
- North Balasore Oriya
- Northwestern Oriya
- Southern Oriya
- Western Oriya